Sunday, March 14, 2010

my ecological footprint



I completed a short survey to calculate my ecological footprint and measure my impact on the planet. To put it into perspective, the final result is given to you in the format of how many 'Earths' required if everyone had the same lifestyle as I do. In all honesty, at first when I'd answer a question, I'd give myself a little more credit than I deserved and often found myself second guessing myself, and forcing myself to be TRUELY honest about my consumption levels and my conservation habits. In almost all categories I was lower than the standard for my region. My results are posted in the image above.

To say I was shocked at my results is an understatement. I knew my results would be above a single planet, that was to be expected, but to need 5 planets to sustain everyone if they lived as I lived was pretty upsetting. I've always tried to make considerations where I 'can' (or what I thought was reasonable) but without compromising the comfort of my lifestyle. It was in responding to the questions individually that I realised exactly where I was letting the planet down. I drive alone too often, and avoid public transport out of a preference for comfort. If I get to sleep in or sit by myself and listen to the music I want to with the aircon on then I would always choose that option. But I felt as though if I was bringing my consumption down in my household that it was a fair compromise. But I suppose in doing this I learnt there is no fair compromise. If I give up one thing I have to commit to making a solid effort all round!

After getting my results, the option to read more information on how to reduce my impact lay ahead of me and I couldn't turn down the opportunity to find out how I had to change. I now live in my own apartment and always used the excuse in the past that the place I lived in wasn't my own so I had no say in keeping my house a green one since I was just a tenant. But now my efforts will have to change. I will make a conscious decision to buy low energy appliances over cheaper options. I will consider ecological ways to insulate my environment to keep the energy bills down to a minimum as well, and by changing the shower to a low-flow head and fluorescent lighting I will have made a significant change in my impact daily. The greatest one that I will have to change is my mode of transportation. I will be registering with the UNSW carpooling system (http://myunswcarpools.unsw.edu.au/) and walking more where I would normally drive around longer for a better parking spot as well as making the effort to take public transport to and from work. And finally, the choice to reuse and recycling products/appliances instead of buying new things before they're needed will be the way for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment